Marthalicia Matarrita bio

My photo
New York, New York, United States
Biography Marthalicia Matarrita Born and raised in Harlem, New York City. Marthalicia has many art disciplines such as drawing, sculpting, painting and creating large murals and is always expanding in new mediums. Current area of art dialogue is based on educating the harmony between animals and humans, in many unique presentations. Marthalicia early stages: Sharng "black books" graffitti art journals as well as comic books were her past time. Encouraged by faith to persue the art form, Marthalicia entered La Guardia High School of Performance and the Arts, and upon graduating high school, she enlisted in the Army National Guard. She enrolled in S.U.N.Y. New Paltz for B.F.A. in Fine Arts. Her art resume further in her new art journey "Live Art Performance" Today, Marthalicia has broaden her art experiences to many difference avenues in art venues, and oppourtunites where she builds with her community and others.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Re Cap: Southpaw "idle warship" and meeting Talib Kweli, thank you Jah C

Entering Southpaw main doors that cold night, and viewing a slightly empty dark room, I got to thinking "will this place be packed? and where will I be located? I placed my book bag, easel and canvas on the floor on a corner adjacent to the photo booth; and turn around to see some performers rehearsing their lines, and others prepping the bar. I also saw Jah C, the down to earth gentle man who invited me to participate in this show, as he walks back and forth ever so often on the entire building. At this time, I motioned myself down to the floor and started taking my easel apart and my acrylic paint on the side, as I do this a light beam luminate my "painting spot" and when I turned around I saw a lot of young folks strolling in, this made the DJ to put the music on. I then got the chills seeing the people gathering around the stage and dancing, it made me visualize how filled this dark room will be on the next 20 minutes.

Time was running so fast right about now, when the host got on stage and introduced the first act. Oh wow what a performance Kalae AllDay. Seeing her perform for the very first time gave me more respects and admiration to her, for I was really able to see how true she really was with music and performing. "wow" is what I said as I started to coat my canvas a brown burgundy hue. And then the lights turned way low. No biggy, they will turn it up again ? Right? Standing on this dark corner and waving a strong piece of envelope , I was able to slowly dry my tainted canvas. Great performers after another sang, rapped, harmonized with the music and the audience. I did to, but was more concerned about creating an image with my sharpie marker on this dark canvas. Trying my best not to feel frustrated, I started to breath slow and think of a way to map my starting drawing point first. Oh I know I'm gonna use my cell phone as a light source! Is what I said to myself as I was in a hurried state of excitement looking deep into my book bag. Ah ha! I got my cell phone !
Oh man now there was a very intoxicated lady leaning way back onto my painting. I was more concern of her clothes not getting painted by my canvas, then me starting to draw. Oh gee now she has her heavy hand on my shoulders and really talking loud and smelling like a gallon of spoiled soaking rotten eggs with liquor. What a start to my art. I'm not mad, just getting antsy to hear Talib Kweli and avoiding this lady and wanting to start this painting. (Its normal for me to encounter many intoxicated people hovering over me and really trying very hard to have an art conversation with me). As usually I try to do a little bit of all, Paint Live, listen to the environment, pause, then rethink realign my thoughts back into painting mode creativity.

Mid way of the night, Talib Kweli and the Idle Warship gets open on stage, while I am waiting near this corner looking at my empty canvas. I got my cell phone again, and really started this time; no one to touch or rub my back, no one bumping into me. I don't mine talking with people, since my art is wet and don't mind drying the work and chatting, but the unproductive distractions are there and normal, I cant avoid them. At this point I got the colors ready, and got the courage to really focus with my night vision eyes. I must say I am getting used to the cell phone light on to a dark room filled with loud music and cheery people.
I was called by the end of the night "Cell Phone Painter" the girl that paints in the dark. I do have to say this now, I don't know how the colors turned out nor how well the portrait resembled him during the time I was making it. I am being honest, I just winged it to the best of abilities. And here comes Jah C walking passed me and astonished that the light that was promised to him that would be on me wasn't there, this made him to say to me that he will now put the light on; but it was already to late, the show was wrapping up, and the final act was coming to a close. I told him that its alright, I am done, but he insisted and persuaded the lighting crew to lite up my art station. All I did was add one extra tone, as the audience clapped and cheered to a HOT CONCERT event!

Photo credit by Natty S. & Elizabeth Allen

1 comment: