Marthalicia Matarrita bio

My photo
New York, New York, United States
Biography Marthalicia Matarrita Born and raised in Harlem, New York City. Marthalicia has many art disciplines such as drawing, sculpting, painting and creating large murals and is always expanding in new mediums. Current area of art dialogue is based on educating the harmony between animals and humans, in many unique presentations. Marthalicia early stages: Sharng "black books" graffitti art journals as well as comic books were her past time. Encouraged by faith to persue the art form, Marthalicia entered La Guardia High School of Performance and the Arts, and upon graduating high school, she enlisted in the Army National Guard. She enrolled in S.U.N.Y. New Paltz for B.F.A. in Fine Arts. Her art resume further in her new art journey "Live Art Performance" Today, Marthalicia has broaden her art experiences to many difference avenues in art venues, and oppourtunites where she builds with her community and others.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

SLR ( Street Literature Review ), at the Harlem Book fair, I PAINT LIVE RECAP !


On Saturday July 18th, I was asked to paint live by my friend Jason, and also Anthony Whyte who are apart of the SLR movement. SLR means: Street Literature Review, a team of writers and thinkers, that come together to heighten reading in their communities and share stories from their community with their writing to others. What a great way to revolutionize thought. Awesome.

(SLR: "Augustus Publishing was created to unify minds with entertaining, hard-hitting tales from a hood near you. Hip Hop Literature interprets conteporary times and connects to readers through shared language, culture and artistic expression. From street tales and erotica to coming-of age sagas, our stories are endearing, filled with drama imagination and Laced with a Hip Hop Steez."

I was so excited and was getting ready to prepare to paint live on Saturday, that I forgot to get some materials for me to create from. Lucky I saw what I wanted to paint and manifest it very very quickly. In this blog I will copy their agenda plan of that day, and also share with you some photos as well. I do hope you like them. The greatest news of them all, is that I sold my painting at the Book fair, even when I wasn't completely finished. Long story but I will get into that shortly. Also, more more thang, my son Wesly was such a trooper, and beat the heat, that he also contributed to the movement by handing out pamphlets to the on going human traffic, that would stop at book stands that were all lined up on the streets, side by side. There were a point in time that the heat was a bit unbearable, and my son couldn't take it, and to the rescue were a few friends that just arrived to help accompany Wesly as I encouraged to continue on painting. I met new people and those I knew that lived around the neighborhood. How odd, I grew up here and now I am painting HERE ? I never envisioned that at all.

No lie, right a couple of feet from me, the YMCA on 135th street was the place I used to with my brothers after school. Still standing tall. The following are photos of the event:
I am starting off:


Wesly gets busy:










Towards the middle of my painting, and taking a quick break, I found my son and his new friend, asking to paint with me. I asked them to get a card board of some sort so that they can start as soon as possible. The two were delighted ! It seemed to the audience around us, that what I was offering my little ones was a great idea, not just to watch, but to also include their little ones in the action of painting live with me. How I had a blast sharing my art stuff with them. This is what happened towards the end of the event.







. Anthony Whyte, is no ordinary guy, he is an amazing writer, profound and knowlegeable about human nature and the streets. He has written a great number of well known books. You can find them here: http://streetlitreview.com
http://augustuspublishing.com/
http://augustusmediagroup.com



Thanks to Anthony, I had a blast with his SLR crew, and not to mention Jason who gave me his canvas... YOU GUYS ROCK!
I also forgot to mention that Anthony Whyte is the writer for ZORA RETURNS TO HARLEMPerformance theatrical Zora Neale Hurston Starring NAACP Award Winner Antonia Badon in 4 shows 3 days

Location: TEMPLE M. THEATER 555 WEST 141 STREET
Time:8:00PM Friday, September 11th through the 13th

RSVP your tickets early call 347 767 8482 www.theatermania.com
SLR is Soulfully Leading the Renaissance

THAT PAINTING THAT I DID WAS OF ZORA NEALE HURSTON, a writer in her time.




Harlem Book Fair – 2009

OUTDOOR EXHIBITORS ROW:
West 135th Street - Malcolm X to Frederick Douglass Boulevard (6th to 8th Avenues)

INDOOR VENUES:
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
515 Malcolm X Boulevard @West 135th Street

Countee Cullen Library
104 West 136th Street (near Malcolm X Boulevard)

Thurgood Marshall Academy (TMA)
200 W 135th Street (West 135th Street @ Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Boulevard)

No comments: