Marthalicia Matarrita bio

My photo
New York, New York, United States
Biography Marthalicia Matarrita Born and raised in Harlem, New York City. Marthalicia has many art disciplines such as drawing, sculpting, painting and creating large murals and is always expanding in new mediums. Current area of art dialogue is based on educating the harmony between animals and humans, in many unique presentations. Marthalicia early stages: Sharng "black books" graffitti art journals as well as comic books were her past time. Encouraged by faith to persue the art form, Marthalicia entered La Guardia High School of Performance and the Arts, and upon graduating high school, she enlisted in the Army National Guard. She enrolled in S.U.N.Y. New Paltz for B.F.A. in Fine Arts. Her art resume further in her new art journey "Live Art Performance" Today, Marthalicia has broaden her art experiences to many difference avenues in art venues, and oppourtunites where she builds with her community and others.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Tomas Manon aka: ATOMIC

My older brother Tomas, also known as Atomic, has always been a great inspiration to be and still is.

Art, music, the street culture and everything that entails expression, I learn alot by him. He was the one that helped me understand art in a manner where I can comprehend.

There was a time in my life that all I was, was his shadow. I notice this in elementary school and future school that I was with him. "Why can't you read faster like Tomas?", or "Tomas is so much better in the math and vocabulary department, why not follow his lead?" All of those comments that were coming from either family members and or teachers and friends, made me feel a bit insecure about how I was communicating to people in general. I looked up to him and always will. He was my artistic muse, my art rebel and art inspiration.

We did everything together. Funny, it felt like we were living like twins. He would say a sentence and or an idea and I would finish it, in a unison of thought. We are battle baddies and close friend as much as we are siblings. Growing up is such a hard settings all our lives, with the many obstacles, he was there to keep thinking forward with his art as a balance our escape. Art was everything we talked about, from "yo let art cypher on this black book" or "what your doing today Martha, nothing...so lets paint!" Even the music section in our lives, Tomas the pioneer! He influence my ear taste buds, if that was such a thing. From underground music, hip hop, classical, house, trance, and anything that makes the body move, we was there to expose it to me. Oh Tomas I do thank you, I wouldn't have learn to appreciate it in the way that I do now.

The Break Dance. He again was the one that lured me into the b-boy/b-girl dance off starting from our High school era. Such a rebel.. Tomas danced, painted, and on his very own used his writing and lyrical skills to uplift his dreams to one day be an awesome MC.

Today my older brother is forced to live in a shelter in Manhattan. His goals and dreams are placed in a pause, in order for him to see better what will his role be in the future. If anything this blog is to educate others what life can be.

With great admiration I present to you Tomas:



No comments: