Marthalicia Matarrita bio

My photo
New York, New York, United States
Biography Marthalicia Matarrita Born and raised in Harlem, New York City. Marthalicia has many art disciplines such as drawing, sculpting, painting and creating large murals and is always expanding in new mediums. Current area of art dialogue is based on educating the harmony between animals and humans, in many unique presentations. Marthalicia early stages: Sharng "black books" graffitti art journals as well as comic books were her past time. Encouraged by faith to persue the art form, Marthalicia entered La Guardia High School of Performance and the Arts, and upon graduating high school, she enlisted in the Army National Guard. She enrolled in S.U.N.Y. New Paltz for B.F.A. in Fine Arts. Her art resume further in her new art journey "Live Art Performance" Today, Marthalicia has broaden her art experiences to many difference avenues in art venues, and oppourtunites where she builds with her community and others.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

RE : CAP : JULY ....1 .... two shows in one night! ( La Bruja at the "WHAT" show & Premonition Album party

I am super thrilled that Divino DeNegro has asked me to painting live for his monthly show in the Heights! I then found out that La Bruja, a renown poetess, from the Bronx, that grew popularity in poetry Slam a few years back.

What I now come to terms these few months, is that art and community must work hand and hand, and proving a Strong sense of  love through the message of our creations, point blank.
I had the intentions of painting over two old paintings, and was stopped by RED CLAY WOMAN aka Reina Miranda .. the poetess, painter, and all around DYNAMIC soul... who provided me a delicious sized canvas, to help me continue my art for the night! I love her so much for being so loving, for understanding how much it cost us to continue what we love to do. ( if more gigs did the same, I paint for life ha ha ha ha).
* I gets ready now, looking at the people gathering around, ordering their dranks dranks, and then I saw Sandra Guzman.. " I know you from some where,.. " was my next words, as she approached me with a big smile... yes yes, CAPICU in Brooklyn and FACEBOOK amigitas.. never really saw or talked to her in person, and talking to her,  realized she is a crazy cool cat! Bless to these networks.

AMAZING lady, mom, and photographer Laurie Marklewics was in the house!  have a ton of love for her sight, her vision... she was also taking some pics there...

* Setting up now: and I get started.... the place got crowed so fast in such a short time! And then, La Bruja entered the scene, and also Pappo from CAPICU. From here, the Open mic starts, and Pappo bless the mic, saying a few words to Divino, then the show gets even hotter! By this time, I have already finished, and saw a glimpse of La Bruja, as I hold high the painting for her to see from far way, and gesturing Divino I had to go to the very soon. I was called to be upfront of the stage, with them, and I was so nervous, because la Bruja was there.. and they loved the painting. She shuck my hand and smiled and said to me, " I love it". More photos were taken, and there was a point that I really had to leave. I hugged as many people I could and waved good by. packed my bag and out the door I was, encountering Tasty Keish .

I had to really run this time, because I had to to all the way down to to paint live with Danielle Mastrion on Premonitions' Album release and his birthday party. On 175 street I entered the A train, and I was so excited! "yea..... on time" man was I wrong, The A train went local all the way down to West 4 street. I was already late by one hour. "Geez... why?" a bit frustrated I walked all the way across thinking the address was near Tompkins Square Park. I thought I was heading the right direction,.. but it seemed I went a bit further then I should have. "This isn't Tompkins Square park? where am I?" so I kept on walking... ha ha ha ha I feel like a dork right about now, as I stopped two young neighborhood girls, and asked the same question I had in my head; they laughed and pointed that I passed it and  that I had to walk at least 3 more blocks from where I can from. Surprised and embarrassed a bit, I said thank you, and off I went power walking with my heavy book bag, two canvases to paint over, and my legs were tired. I stopped at avenue A, and I slowly looked around, and to my surprise DROM was the biggest sign ever, and I looked down, as I laughed. wow, how did I ever missed that?
I saw a few people outside, and I remembered that the program was held down stairs.  I jetted down those flight, and entered those doors, I searched around for Danielle and then on stage the Host and other cool familiar faces were telling a story with the music.. " ahhh I am here" . Danielle and I caught up, and we were debating not to paint, since they already started and neither of us wanted to disrupt the flow of things. Then there was a break and we talked for a few and Felecia Cruz was like.. " you better start painting! Its his birthday he really wanted to see some art created...!" I felt so bad... so Danielle and I thought to colabo to a her form board a portrait of him. We looked over many reference and stared at one.."yea.this one!'

We painted and sketch with a black Sharpie marker, his portrait. We had fun! We laughed and talked and added extra stuff to it. The following are some of the pictures that were taken for the first show and then Prem's show/party. hope you like the journey.




No comments: