Marthalicia Matarrita bio

My photo
New York, New York, United States
Biography Marthalicia Matarrita Born and raised in Harlem, New York City. Marthalicia has many art disciplines such as drawing, sculpting, painting and creating large murals and is always expanding in new mediums. Current area of art dialogue is based on educating the harmony between animals and humans, in many unique presentations. Marthalicia early stages: Sharng "black books" graffitti art journals as well as comic books were her past time. Encouraged by faith to persue the art form, Marthalicia entered La Guardia High School of Performance and the Arts, and upon graduating high school, she enlisted in the Army National Guard. She enrolled in S.U.N.Y. New Paltz for B.F.A. in Fine Arts. Her art resume further in her new art journey "Live Art Performance" Today, Marthalicia has broaden her art experiences to many difference avenues in art venues, and oppourtunites where she builds with her community and others.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

RE: CAP: Art Battles Painting LIVE at the Brooklyn Museum July 3rd 2010

Ever since I found out I had the chance to paint with them I was thrilled; even more ecstatic was when I was told it will be held at the Brooklyn Museum! " I almost lost breath, thinking this is so unreal. I was stuttering when I said..." ye yes ..yea YES!!! ha ha ha its true.

The Art Battle program was about Andy Warhol, and the theme was "American Icon". I was breaking my head as to what to paint, I even started asking friends of either twitter and facebook for any suggestions. I have to say, I do have some really darn cool friends! they encouraged me all the way through! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

I finally got the idea after surfing through art archives of Andy Warhol and notice he painted in his contemporary life time, people that were also famous. I then looks at what I notice that are contemporary in my life time, and I remember seeing a program of Lady Gaga's interview where she herself has commented on Andy Warhol's art and fashion. WOW this is exactly what I wanted to do then, but how? I had to find several images...

After getting what I wanted visually, I was set off to travel from the Bronx to Brooklyn. I had to say  got there late, an hour and some change late.  I stopped at Nevins and walked out to catch a taxi. As soon as I paid the cab driver, I bolted out of there as ran straight to the main lobby . "Where the heck are they?" As I stood there looking lost, two people smiled and gestured me to hurry: " THEY ARE OUT SIDE... " I smiled back and ran like a mad woman to the out door, and then I saw the massive crowd. WHOA... I even saw my friends had already started painting. I felt horrible that I was late. Sean Bono wasn't happy with me, and I totally understood and felt so horrible about myself for not leaving earlier from my house. I am sorry homie ! I still love ya.

Ok ok, Sean and Lexi and I hover over the next details of the show. The music is still playing, and then a break. Sean introduces us, the ladies to paint, YEA.... he we go! I got all my painst together, my brushes, and reference... and as soon I was done, and Lexi was done getting our stuff ready, the second half of the battle began!

I must say: I never really like painting wet on wet due to the fact that the work will become muddy. I have to have tons of color to achieve a clean look of work. But I do say: I love working on this theme, and I loved that is was a challenge for me as well! from the corner of my eye, I saw Tasty Keish, Conscious, Mark Anthony Vigo, Wendy from New Paltz, Fernando Leon, B Metals, Jen One, Aquino and brother, man the list goes one! WOW, Brooklyn is a huge place where there is a lot of love! Aquino and his camera took some of this pics.. waiting on soem new ones... yay..

I didnt win, but I had so much fun! the battle was between Concep and Lexi Bella...

Round two: Lexi Bella won for the ladies! Congratulations Mama !

No comments: