Marthalicia Matarrita bio

My photo
New York, New York, United States
Biography Marthalicia Matarrita Born and raised in Harlem, New York City. Marthalicia has many art disciplines such as drawing, sculpting, painting and creating large murals and is always expanding in new mediums. Current area of art dialogue is based on educating the harmony between animals and humans, in many unique presentations. Marthalicia early stages: Sharng "black books" graffitti art journals as well as comic books were her past time. Encouraged by faith to persue the art form, Marthalicia entered La Guardia High School of Performance and the Arts, and upon graduating high school, she enlisted in the Army National Guard. She enrolled in S.U.N.Y. New Paltz for B.F.A. in Fine Arts. Her art resume further in her new art journey "Live Art Performance" Today, Marthalicia has broaden her art experiences to many difference avenues in art venues, and oppourtunites where she builds with her community and others.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mom on fathers day: June 21, 2009 trip to Hedgewood

My mothers conditon: Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations

There are 5 types of schizophrenia:
Catatonic
Disorganized
Paranoid
Residual
Undifferentiated * THIS IS WHAT MY MOM HAS.... Those that were with me during my dark times, and the high lights; those that understood where I cam from understand how important my family means to me. My mother has been currently living upstate New York since November 24 2008.

I haven't seen her since that date until this past father's day June 21, 2009. Although I know that there are other families that don't often see their parent of don't have them, I truly understand how important it is to have what you have. The Cup is not always half empty.

During this special day, I commuted with my youngest brother Jorge, my son and WEZ. All of us had a great trip viewing the scenery of New york to upstate. The place that were were heading was called HEDGE WOOD, near fishkill. I never been there, but the place look so familiar.

Upon arriving, we all entered the facility and signed in. I thought that a mental facility would be a bit harsh to witness, especially the patience that were older and on medication. But I was surprised, it wasn't at all like that. "MALTA !" was what I heard, I turned around and there she was, smiling and arms opened ready for an embrace. " MAMI ! " I shouted, as I rushed towards her and gave her a bear hug. Tears rolled, but we both kept them well inside. Everything seemed to vanished as I held her near... .
Oops I totally forgot to mention to my mom that Jorge, Wesly and WEZ was behind me... "my bad" hee hee, they weren't pissed as I would have thought, but the mood changed once everyone got their hugs in with momma dukes.

OK OK, I am a bit weird, and so is my moms, that's why we started to arm wrestle on the table. It started by me asking how was she feeling, she says "fine, in fact, she added, I feel like a wild horse". Oh yeah, prove it, as we got really goofy in the arm combat mode. My son wanted a bit of the action and started to arm wrestle my moms... I didnt know who to cheer to? And my younger brother Jorge is LAUGHING at whats he is seeing; not sure if he wanted in.. (do you think he wanted to?) Do you remember a saying, one that says, "Its the little moments, those little things that a child always remember that always reminds one that Love is there". Or the one that says, "Its those moment in your life that you will never forget because they were so sincere and honest" For some reason I adore them, and that's why I am so childlike with family and friends, because one can never forget how special they are; the people you have in your life, and the need to show them now, is so important. You might not be able to have a second chance to ever say or do anything that they will know that you care. Sorry if I am getting a bit philosophical. My moms gets excited and wants all of us to really see what she has seen here on "her place", and started to give us a tour. From the lobby to her bedroom, to the lobby again and the out doors. This place isn't bad if you like the rural way of living. Yo I'm from New York, I defiantly need to hear the sirens, the police chase, the garbage truck backing up, the arguments, dang maybe I need help, either way, its how I grew up, the environment I was in that reflects me. But me staying there, I started to calm down a bit, and feel comfort in the most strange way, as if I wanted to sleep, that's how comfy it felt there.

Now it was time to say our good- bys, Jorges shows care by plucking hair, and I take a quik photo of us. while we head to the out door for a last tour and aour LAST good by for our trip back home.

Love you mom.

4 comments:

Minx said...

this is tooo sweet.

Robert Trujillo said...

i feel u dude, i have an uncle i hvnt spoken to in person for sev years who is also schizophrenic.Its hard, but youre doing great.The best is all we can do.The foto of yopur moms w/ wes is priceless!

SHAWTIEROC said...

I LOVE this piece. it's relatable. the photos are truly inclusive, (inspirational even)... Thank you for sharing.[side note> your paintings are wonderful, would love to collaborate with you on something in the future!] All the Best to you and your loved ones.

(m)2 said...

MINXY: Thank you !


ROBERT T: I so appreciate you for sharing your personal story too! and many thank you !


SHAWTIEROC: Thank you for your insights, and for linking my art! Defiantly let me know, very interested in colabo with ya girl!